Tuesday, February 2, 2010

my family twelve times | january

family1
If you've never seen Tara Whitney's work, you need to check her out right now. She's amazing. My absolute favorite portrait photographer of all time. Her images are so authentic and true to her clients... I can't get enough! And her family is absolutely adorable.

On her blog, she just decided to post a photo of her entire family once a month and include some things that are happening in their lives at the time. She invited her blog readers to join her in the endeavor, and I love, love, LOVE the idea.

So... Here's our first family picture. I'm actually cheating because it was shot in December for our Christmas card, but I'm going to allow myself to cheat for the first month! Getting myself into the photo is always tricky...

January | at a glance.

-- Maggie has started saying things in three's. It's adorable, and I have no idea where it comes from. When I tell her she needs to wash her hands, this follows: "Are they dirty and dirty and dirty?" Yesterday, when Tim asked her to sit down (instead of jumping up and down on her seat) she said: "I'm just being silly and silly and silly!" Cute.

-- Caleb smiles pretty easily, but any time he sends a grin our way you'd think we won the lottery for all the screams that we let out. Maggie is the loudest. "He smiling at me! He smiling, Mommy!" So sweet.

-- Tim finished two incredibly hard things... Graduate school and our basement. I'm so proud of him! I'm also relieved.

-- Caleb sleeps through the night. Most of the time.

-- Every night before bed, Maggie requests to pray for three friends. Jack and Rowan and Brandon. Every night. She also picks out several books for us to read to her, and right now she enjoys reading about ballerinas. She practices her ballet during the day. She calls it "Baa-yay".

-- I celebrated my 29th birthday. This year I'm making a resolution to cook more often. I love it, but I rarely give myself enough time.

-- Apparently, Maggie is incredibly proud of Tim and me. Whenever we complete a task, like brushing our teeth or putting away the dishes, she claps her hands and says, "Yay! I'm so proud of you!"

-- Caleb and Maggie are really cute in the morning. And the first words out of Maggie's mouth in the morning are always the same. "Are Caleb's eyes awake?" Every morning. But it actually sounds more like this: "Are Cayub's eyes wake?" So sweet.

-- After all this snow, we're getting pretty excited about the Spring.

-- Thanks for reading! Do you like this idea? If so, you should do it too! For me it's really easy to blog about my job, but I end up forgetting about the new things that are going on in my family. I love the idea of bringing them both together.

12 comments:

Julia MacInnis Photography said...

You guys are a cutie-patootie family! and I love Tara Whitney and this idea. Congrats on 1) more sleep 2) your hubby's accomplishments 3) turning 29! that was eons ago for me!

L MCCLELLAND said...

This is a wonderful idea! Little Maggie sounds adorable! And Congrats Tim on graduating!

ali caudill said...

I am in love with Tara Whitney & this idea. Hello self timer! Really cute post - what a cool thing to be able to look back on.

Stephanie at Angelina Photography said...

Love the idea! It's always nice to know what's going on behind the scenes for photographers! :)
This will be awesome for you to look back on!! :)

Chappell Photo said...

So fun! Love getting to see more about your life and your adorable family!!

JessieRutland said...

I love this post! Can't wait to read every month.

KarenG said...

I love the idea and hearing more about the family.

Karen W. said...

What about Maggie doing yoga her GaGa taught her...her exercises...I love this post and can't wait to read more each month.
and yes two nice accomplishments for Tim..graduating early with his Graduate degree and a 3.93 GPA and finishing the basement...Hooray..sorry Tim have to brag on you also. GaGa Karen

courtney said...

tara whitney is one of my favorites too! i so wanted to do this idea as soon as i saw her post! adorable!!!!

Anna said...

There's a fun body of work by Nicholas Nixon where he took a picture of "The Brown Sisters" every year for 25 years :

http://www.zabriskiegallery.com/Nixon/TBS/nixonimages.htm

I love the concept!

the reppard crew said...

oh, i love it! how fun! :) y'all stay dry (and warm!)

Kristen Gardner Photography said...

Thank you guys! Anna, I loved looking at Nicholas Nixon's photos. What an incredible idea! Thanks for sharing.